This railroad bridge was built in 1910 by the Minneapolis, Saint Paul, and
Sault Ste Marie Railroad, better known as the Soo Line. The bridge was
originally longer, but two spans were replaced with fill in 1929. The
bridge was upgraded in 1931 with new piles being installed. The bridge
was rebuilt again in 1963. It was abandoned by the Soo Line in 1990.
This old bridge was slated to be removed in the early 2000s, but that
never happened. Rather, it was fitted with a new deck and side railings,
and is now used as part of a recreational trail. This is the northernmost
of several rail to trail bridge conversions that cross the great river.
The photo above is a view from the northwest corner of the bridge. The
photo below is a view of the bridge from the northeast. The barricade
marks the spot where a rail line once landed after having branched off of
the bridge in mid-span. The photo at the top of the page is a view
looking north across the bridge from the south end of the structure.